
I'm thinking of firing my wedding coordinator.
She's a loose friend of the family and did 2 of my cousin's weddings. They were amazing! That being said, I'm not feeling like she even cares to do mine.
When I hired her, we met at the reception venue, had lunch, and talked over ideas. When I asked about fees, costs, and a contract she mentioned the "Family discount" and changed the subject. Multiple weeks ago, she asked me for some info as she was working on my contract. I haven't heard anything about that since.
So far, I have:
*found the venue
*hired the caterer
*booked the photographer
*come up with table decor/linens
*have a list of musicians to demo
She has:
*had me meet with one florist
*referred me to a bridal salon for day-of (I hired them)
*given me a few ideas
*and...that's it.
She's been hired since January and I've seen her twice. She rarely answers my e-mails. I know that her current summer weddings are keeping her very occupied, and I'm sure she'll pay more attention to mine as the day nears, but still. It doesn't take much time to answer my e-mails.
Question: Do I need a wedding coordinator to help with planning at this point? I know I'll want someone for the day of, and I could hire my current one for just that. What has your coordinator/planner done for you beyond booking the "big boys" of the industy?
Just came across this article. Almost glad to have the opposite problem! Taming the Runaway Wedding Planner - New York Times
photo from Wedding Approved via google images

4 comments:
Nothing!! Other than setting everything up (and even that was questionable) you dont need her!!!
I seems like she is treating you like a second class citizen. I understand that she is in wedding season, but she still needs brides after the summer. To be it seems like she is taking advantage of you since she did two of your family members weddings. I think you are already doing most of the planning yourself anyway. Maybe you just need a day of planner and it may not be her. Find someone who cares as much for your special day as you do.
I just found your blog [super great by the way]!
I fired my wedding coordinator six months before my big day. I had done everything myself...literally. All she had done was make a suggestion for centerpieces [which I didn't like] and gave me the name of the person at my parents' country club who should be my contact. I already had the information...it is my parents' club.
I found her to be useless. I didn't even use someone for day of. There wasn't much to coordinate I felt. I was capable of handling a few things [calling the florist because they forgot my flower girl's flowers...no biggie...just left in the truck]. My sister called the bakery to make sure that they were running on time.
I looked at it this way: if something was going to go wrong the day of, no one would be able to fix it. So I may as well relax.
Good luck!
I never had a wedding coordinator due to budget restraints, and everything went just fine! You've done most of the work already. If you're not all that stressed, why keep paying her? I would just suggest finding a good person to actually do wedding day coordination "stuff" (ie ripping, and running around)
Post a Comment