Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hospital Stories, Round 1

*NOTE* I fully support and respect HIPAA : the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. All accounts told have been altered to protect privacy.

Here we go: A young mom comes in and gives birth early. The baby developed bilateral brain bleeds and had a shunt placed. Fairly routine as far as the baby. However, the social history is ridiculous!

I often wonder how people can live like this. Mom has 2! restraining orders against Dad for domestic abuse. Dad was released from jail for abusing Mom a few days after the baby was born. According to when Mom conceived, Dad was incarcerated. So is Dad really the dad? Did he get conjugal visits?

Because of the restraining orders, Mom and ?Dad? are not allowed to visit together, but are living together. If seen at the hospital together, the nurses are instructed to call security. So now I have to take care of a critically ill baby and play cop!

If this isn't enough, Dad is twice Mom's age and she often visits the baby with his son...who is her age. Sheesh!

I really just do not understand what it is with women who cannot get a clue. If he abused you once, he'll do it again! I feel so bad for this poor child and the life it'll go home to if it makes it through this medical ordeal.

2 comments:

Mrs.Preppy said...

Yikes... that is worse than a soap opera. And pretty sad.

Anonymous said...

I am interning at a domestic violence assistance program, and this kind of situation really happens all the time. It is even more sad and confusing the more you see it. It is true that an abuser is almost sure to keep battering over & over again. Since you are wondering why she doesn't "get it", in school we are taught over and over again that the question should not be "why doesn't she leave", but "why is he hurting her"? I could go on and on about the different reasons why it is hard for a woman to leave her home/abuser...but since this might be more information than you are interested in I will just say that it must be hard for medical professionals to deal with family issues in addition to your medical care, especially when you are not trained for domestic violence prevention! Hope everything works out OK and "Dad" is not seen anywhere near the hospital!! :)