Monday, June 09, 2008

Flowers, round 1

My wedding coordinator says it's time to start meeting with florists because the good ones around here book up fast. So she's making appointments with her top 2 favorites for Friday. I'm actually kind of excited about it now (flowers are not a top priority for me). My list of flowers that I want to include:


Stargazer lilies




Gardenia




Carnations (white, pink, and dyed blue)

Did you know that a bunch of carnations can look like peonies? Carnations are a much cheaper alternative to peonies and they are "heartier" and will last longer.



Stephanotis



Blueberries



Hydrangea (blue)




Roses (Blue? and Ivory)




Gerbera daisies (pink)


Stargazers are "my" flower, so they were a must-include. I think my bouquet may be gardenia only. It is just such a classic flower, plus it smells so amazing. The only downside is the petals can bruise easily, but I don't think we'll have a problem.

Gerberas and blue roses may be too modern for the style of my wedding, but they add color and pop. They will probably only be seen in centerpieces.

The groomsmen will probably have boutonnieres of rope/knots with maybe a sprig of stephanotis. I have not decided on bridesmaid's bouquets as of yet.

There will undoubtedly be more posts from me on this subject as I meet with florists and make decisions. What are your must use flowers?


*all pictures from google images.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Flowers are so tough! Well, at least they were for me. I am allergic to most flowers! I ended having to go with all roses and only roses to keep me from getting all red eyed and watery! Let me tell you - that is NOT a cheap alternative! LOL! But, I am sure you know that.

I think all of your choices are beautiful. :) I love peonies and hydrangeas (and they don't make me sneeze - they are just more than roses on the east coast).

There is one place I am using carnations and that is to decorate the pavilion where the ceremony is going to be. We are doing Pomanders (aka - "Kissing Balls").

http://www.purejoyflowers.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/AileSpheres.91201949.JPG

They're just kind of neat looking. Very clean lines.

:)

PS - Thanks for posting all of those cakes. I am not into looking at cakes, but you are giving me some fun thoughts!

Erin said...

The link didn't go through.

http://www.purejoyflowers.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/AileSpheres.91201949.JPG

Dana said...

I have started posting about flowers that I like. I was amazed when I looked at my wedding checklist on the knot stated that I needed to find a florist. This is on my plate for the end of this month and next month. It can be overwhelming.