Monday, January 19, 2009

First NICU IV start!



I did it! I started my first peripheral IV on a baby the about a month ago.

In my NICU this is a rite of passage as we use UAC/UVCs (IVs in the umbilical cord stump) and have a special PICC (IV) team. This means that many nurses do not have the opportunity to start PIVs, as we don't use many.

I got it on the 2nd poke! The baby is a former 25.3 weeker (now 27.6), who is vented on the high-frequency oscilating ventilator. This all means that she is tiny! and that her body was shaking while I was trying to start the IV.

My mentor was super-ecstatic for me. She, my Charge, and a bunch of others made me this sign and did a "hip-hip-hooray" chant for me!

My co-workers always make for a lively night!

Author's note: this all occurred about a month ago, I didn't post it earlier due computer issues. But we're good now, and I've since started about 4 more!

2 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

That is super exciting. We don't start our baby IVs either. The anesthesiologist does. How do you like working nights?

Mrs. Not-so-Domesticated said...

Wow! Congrats! I remember starting my first, I was terrified. My hand was shaking and I couldn't seem to find veins anywhere. Now its old news.

We use UAC/UVC's in our little one and sick ones, then they get PICC's but other than that we always use PIV's, like in every baby 30 weeks +. Hmm...its interesting to see what other hospitals do.

That was really nice of your mentor to make you a sign, maybe we'll have to start doing that for our new girls. I think its a great morale booster. Congrats again!