Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pastor meeting

Tomorrow, Fiance and I are meeting with the pastor of the church I grew up in. While we want to use the church, we really don't want him to officiate as I don't have any relationship with him.

Fiance has a family friend whom he is quite close with who is a Pastor. Plain and simple, we want him to marry us.

In talking to the church, the secretary said the Pastor had the last (and only) say about having an outside pastor officiate. Church pastor e-mailed me that he "regrets" never having gotten to know me, but that he is "close" with my parents and wishes to be "a part" of our celebration.

Ummmm...how exactly do I reply to that!??! And what does it mean to be "a part"? Does a prayer or blessing qualify as good enough? Fiance was none to thrilled as he does not know church pastor at all.

So we are meeting with church pastor tomorrow because he wants to get to know me and Fiance. We also need to discuss pre-marital counseling, and I want to know how to do a 2-Pastor ceremony with our chosen pastor doing the homily and the vows.

Anyone having or had a 2-officiant ceremony?

4 comments:

Well I Do Declare said...

I have been to a couple of weddings with 2-officiant ceremonies. They were usually a result of both the bride and groom being close to their respective pastors and being unable to choose.

When you meet with "your" pastor, I would thank him for taking the time to meet with you. Tell him that you have always envisioned your wedding in this church. I would then tell him that because your fiance has a close personal relationship with other pastor, that it would be especially meaningful for him to officiate the ceremony. Tell him that you realize that he/"your" pastor is usually involved in the ceremonies in "his" church, and you would really like to find a way to include him with the other pastor doing the vows and homily.

OK, not sure if this is any help, but I hope so! Good Luck :)

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Good luck and I have seen it done!

Mrs.Preppy said...

Mr. was Catholic, so we had to have a priest at the wedding. I am not Catholic and refused to have just a priest conduct the wedding.... Besides the fact that priest was almost late to the wedding and you could not understand a single thing he said, it worked out fine. I gave the majority of the speaking parts to my minister and everything worked out fine.

Dana said...

I have had a couple of friends have two pastors. I think it causes confusion. Maybe you can work things out to have the pastor read a scripture and your friend could actually marry you. Maybe your parents can express how much you want your friend to marry you. It should be someone that knows you. I have been to several weddings were the pastor did not know the couple and either messed up their names or the feeling in the air was not the same. I hope thing work out for you so that your day is the way that you and your fiance want it. Maybe once you express your feeling in detail the pastor will understand.