Friday, October 03, 2008

Changing Your Name?

I will be. Even though I do like mine better than his.... I tend to be a traditionalist and I don't want my children to have super-huge names they can't write out fully, or teachers who aren't sure if I'm so-and-so's Mom. Even though this is becoming the norm today. It's too confusing and it's just not for me.



That being said, I ran across a great post from AvantBride about how to easily Change Your Name. Hooray.

Step 1: Marriage License - get it and at least one certified copy. This way you have one safely at home while you send the other one way for various things such as your new passport.

Step 2: Social Security Office for a new Social Security Card- Bring your marriage license, driver’s license and passport (just in case.) Yes, the Social Security Office is not a fun place to be, but it didn’t take too long in my case. They’ll give you a receipt and send you the card within a couple weeks.

Step 3: Your state's Dept. of Licensing. Bring you marriage license. They will take a new picture! Check for wait times online before you go. Cost about $10.

Step 4: Passport You’ll need to send you marriage license in, they don’t accept photocopies. If you’re renewing you can send in your current passport, two new photos, the marriage license, the form, and fee and you’re good to go. Passport processing is a lot faster than it used to be. Cost $75.

Those are the best steps to take first, and then the others can be done at home, online or on the phone! Here is another list of places you may want to change your name with. Most you can send a copy of the marriage license or driver’s license if required.

E-mail
Facebook and other social networks
Credit Card Companies
Banks
Academic Institutions - and student loans
Utilities
Insurance
Employer/Spouse Employer
Library
Financial Institutions and Retirement Plans
Voter Registration
Cell Phone
Your Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant etc
Frequent Flyers

(The above steps and list are taken from AvantBride’s Weblog. Please give the credit to them!)


(Just because it's funny...and so true!)

5 comments:

Dana said...

Funny cartoon. I am going to hypenate my name, but will go by my future husbands last name. I am mainly doing it for professional reasons and since all of my degrees have my maiden name on them.

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

thanks for posting this. i've only changed my facebook name and driver's license. i haven't changed my email address. i guess i should take care of that soon. i just hate to deal with the lost emails because of it!

Linda said...

I've done everything except my cc. I just haven't found time to call in and do it.

Anonymous said...

As a "Mary" (with a double first name, luckily) I like the cartoon! :)

Erin said...

FYI - if you have just ordered a passport within the past year and then change your name - there's no fee!

-E