Saturday, October 11, 2008

Applesauce!

Fall is one of my favorite food seasons. Any other foodies out there?

Today was Applesauce-making day! Yum! My parents have a small orchard with just enough apple trees to elicit the need to make applesauce, and I love to make it, so it works out well.

Here is my 'Cook-by-picture' Applesauce tutorial.


Slice apples into quarters, removing the core and "worm spots."


Place apples into large stockpot with about an inch of water. It's ok to overfill the pot, the apples will cook "down."


Cook apples on low, stirring about every twenty to thirty minutes. They will begin to look mushy.


Once all chunks have turned to mush, pour the compote into some kind of strainer or collander.


Push the compote through the strainer. Your peelings will stick to the inside of the collander--you may need to clean them out before pouring in more compote.


For flavor add sugar and cinnamon to your liking. I use "red hots" to give my applesauce more "Zip." Stir well.


Pour into freezer-proof containers if you won't be eating your applesauce in about a week. Don't forget to label your containers!

Enjoy your harvest bounty!

1 comment:

Lulu said...

I had no idea it was that easy! Thanks for sharing,think I might have to try this :)