Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Book Report: Moose



Moose by Stephanie Klein is a memoir of a formerly fat girl's summers away at fat camp. 

The book is born when Klein's doctor tells her that she needs to gain 50 pounds while pregnant with twins. This scares her and sends her mind back to junior high when she was fat and her parents were not supportive of her weight loss journey. Her father laughed when she confessed that the kids at school called her "Moose." Her mother stocked the house with her favorite fat goodies because it would be unfair to deprive the rest of the family. And then her parents send both Klein and her skinny sister to fat camp.

I liked Klein's style because she is honest and witty. Being candid is important to me when reading a memoir. There were times I laughed out loud. However, I could not relate to the content or to Klein's plight, so I found myself breezing through chapters, skimming the paragraphs. A. I'm not concerned with my weight, B. I'm not unhappy, and C. I have an extremely supportive family.

For those of you who have struggled with your weight and/or self-esteem, this book will appeal to you and I'm sure you'll get more from it than I did. I do feel that I learned a lot about the emotional journey associated with weight loss.

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I liked her honesty too.

Rachael West said...

Thanks for the review!