Friday, July 09, 2010

Camping

Over the 4th of July we went camping and hiking with a group of friends. 11 humans and 2 canines. It was a glorious day. Yes, day. J and I did not actually stay and camp with the group. Our weekend was so full that we could only camp for the day. (But that's OK, I enjoy sleeping in my own bed!)

As is typical in the Pacific North West, summer doesn't start until July 5th, so yes we were wearing jackets and sweatshirts quite a bit.

I love this picture of us. We look so natural and like we're truly having fun. (Notice my crow's feet...when did those appear?!)

Oh, and there was still snow. Lots of snow. We gained a lot of elevation in our hike. I thought I was in decent shape, this hike taught my otherwise. My glutes and thighs screamed for 3 days!


The ladies. Thank goodness for the ladies, they are so awesome!

Our entire group with Mount St. Helens in the background, partially obstructed with clouds.


J in front of Mt St. Helens and Spirit Lake, which was obliterated when St. Helens erupted on May 18, 1980. Spirit Lake has since refilled, regrown organisms, and now acts as fertilizer for the regrowth of the area.

That divit in the mountain towards the top right of the photo is the crater. Below is a much better stock photo of the crater with steam plume escaping. 




Iron Creek Falls was near our campground, so we stopped by and took a quick hike down to revel in its beauty. 


 Back at the campsite, J and Acer became great friends. This is a man that needs a dog...once we get a backyard...

What a fantastic day! Worth all of the long hours on the road and screaming leg muscles. Can't wait to do it again. Maybe next time we'll stay and actually camp!



No comments: