Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Follow-up to "Changes"

Changes

I wrote the post "Changes" back in November when my work-place went through a re-bid and lay-off process. I was reading Leah's blog today and realized that I never updated you guys on what happened.

First and foremost, I want to thank you all for the encouraging thoughts, positive messages, and prayers you sent my way. That was a very low time for me and you definitely lifted my spirits.

Prior to the re-bid, I worked 8-hour night shift and a 0.8 FTE, which means I worked 80% of full-time employment, or 32 hours per week. I worked my shifts all in a row, 8 nights on and 6 nights off.

The re-bid didn't affect us as much financially as I was expecting it to. Based upon my (very) low seniority, I received a position that was better than I expected. God is so faithful! My new position is now 12-hour night shift and a 0.75 FTE. This means that I now work 5 12-hour shifts in a 2 week period.

Change can be good! For me this means more nights at home, sleeping in my bed with my husband. Fewer days of fuzzy brain, and that dreaded so-so physical feeling. Many days I was used to feeling a light hangover from lack of sleep. NOT ANYMORE! Now, I go to work for 5 nights straight, then I flip back over to a day-time schedule and enjoy life for 9 days. We are eating better because I have more time to cook, the apartment is much cleaner, and the laundry isn't back-logged, plus I have more time and energy for exercise and relaxation with my friends. Which sounds a bit like I'm not too far off from some of my 2011 Goals.

Many of my co-workers did not fair as well, but we are all rallying together. The mood has brightened in the unit, and of all the people laid off only 2 are still without employment. Which is better than anyone expected in this economy.

Again, thank you for your support! You are all much appreciated.

2 comments:

Jen | Our Life Accounts said...

What wonderful news! It is always so tough when the employement whispers start happening and change is in the air (especially change brought on by financial woes!). I went through something similar myself not to long ago and it was absolutely nerve-wracking!

Rachael West said...

Wow that is so awesome I'd love to work 5 - 12s this 7-5 M-F every week is getting old :+)