Monday, March 01, 2010

Book Report: The Help



The Help by Kathryn Stockett was phenomenal.

Run to your nearest library or bookstore and gobble this one up! The book is 464 pages. I read it in less than 2 days. I could not put it down. Seriously. That good.

The setting is Mississippi in 1962, smack in the middle of the civil rights movement. The story is narrated by three women who are experiencing first-hand what it means to ask the questions "Who am I?" "What is my purpose?"

Skeeter returns home after finishing college and not receiving her "MRS." degree, and is discontent with her friends, her family, and her community.
Aibileen is the older, wiser black maid who is raising the children of Skeeter's friend.
Minny is the younger, hot-headed black maid who has a hard time holding her tongue and maintaining a job working for white women.

Stockett weaves these three women together, taking them on a journey of black & white, right & wrong. These 3 courageous women work together on a project that risks their lives in order to tell their stories.

I laughed out loud, I cried, I was astonished. I have a new appreciation for what the civil rights movement really meant then, and now.

This would be a great one for your book club. Stockett has some discussion questions here.

What did you think? Did you enjoy The Help as much as I did?

I'm looking forward to future books from Stockett.

4 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Sounds like a good read!

Kaper Design; Inspiration said...

Thank you for the review! I've been wanting to pick this one up for a while and now I have a really good reason to!

Kate
room22design.blogspot.com

tickledpink said...

I love, love this book especially since I'm from MS. I was thrilled to hear the book is being made into a movie, and will be filmed here this summer. She is already in the works of another novel. It really gives you a glimpse of MS, and her writing is so detailed that I felt like I could imagine the whole book taking place before my eyes.

USCEmily said...

I just finished this one, as well and I LOVED it!