Wednesday, December 14, 2011

No-Sew Drapes

alternately titled: "Things you can do with your Straight Iron"

Our house has an 8'x5' picture window at the stair landing. For Christmas, I knew it needed to be dressed, so on Black Friday, this crazy lady (pointing finger at self) went to JoAnn and waited in too many long lines for the perfect fabric. (Hey, no judging: 8 yards of quality fabric = $$$).

I should also mention that J's Birthday was soon after my mini-shopping spree and he received a Little Giant. Needless to say he was excited, and my drapes got hung that night....


...before I'd had the chance to hem and press them. Oh well, at least they got hung! There is no way those things are getting pressed now, but I had to figure out how to hem them (the edges were badly frayed). I was NOT going to hand sew them and my machine was out of the question.

Have you all met Sherry? Well, she keeps making curtains and bed skirts that are no-sew. I kept reading her posts and thinking "pshaw! I have a machine, I'll hem the 'right' way." Boy, was I ever wrong! Here's to you Sherry, for showing me the error of my ways!

Gather up your supplies:


You'll need iron-on hem tape, scissors, and an iron. Because my drape was already hung, a standard iron wouldn't work, so I got creative. 

Place hem tape along the edge of your project and fold the fabric and tape up into a hem. Iron with medium heat and NO steam. DO NOT touch the hem tape directly to your iron. The glue will melt onto your iron and ruin it. If you're like me and using a straight iron, be sure to wipe off the plates (once cool) before using in your hair. My iron took on a bit of the red dye in the fabric. 


My finished, clean-line hem!


The final product shown from the top of the stairs.

No comments: